Recipe for Shorse Saag:
- 1 bunch of fresh mustard greens (about 500 grams)
- 2-3 green chilies, slit
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons white mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Water for boiling
1. Prepare Mustard Paste:
- In a bowl, combine the yellow mustard seeds, white mustard seeds, and poppy seeds.
- Add a little water and let them soak for about 20-30 minutes.
- After soaking, grind them into a smooth paste using a little water as needed.
2. Blanch the Mustard Greens:
- Wash the mustard greens thoroughly under running water.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add a pinch of salt.
- Immerse the mustard greens in the boiling water for about 2-3 minutes.
- Drain and transfer them to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Squeeze out excess water from the blanched greens and chop them finely.
3. Cook the Shorse Saag:
- Heat mustard oil in a pan or kadai over medium heat.
- Add the slit green chilies and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the mustard paste and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add turmeric powder and a pinch of salt. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes until the oil starts to separate from the paste.
- Add the chopped mustard greens and sauté for about 5-7 minutes until they are well coated with the mustard paste and cooked through.
- If desired, add a teaspoon of sugar to balance the flavors.
4. Serve Shorse Saag:
- Shorse Saag is traditionally served as a side dish with steamed rice.
- Enjoy the unique and pungent flavors of this Bengali delight!
Shorse Saag is a classic Bengali preparation that showcases the bold flavors of mustard seeds and the earthy goodness of mustard greens. This dish is a staple in Bengali cuisine and is sure to tantalize your taste buds.
For best quality ingredients directly from West Bengal, please visit our site:- https://indiacuisine.net