Shorshe Aloo is a delicious Bengali dish where potatoes are cooked in a flavorful mustard sauce. It is a simple and quick recipe that packs a punch of flavors. Here's a recipe to make Shorshe Aloo:
- 4-5 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Water as needed
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
- Heat water in a pot and bring it to a boil. Add the cubed potatoes and a pinch of salt. Boil the potatoes for about 5-7 minutes until they are slightly tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a grinder or blender, grind the mustard seeds into a smooth paste by adding a little water. Set the paste aside.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan or kadai over medium heat.
- Add the slit green chilies and sauté for a minute until they release their aroma.
- Add the parboiled potato cubes to the pan and sauté for a couple of minutes, ensuring they are well coated with the oil.
- Add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the mustard paste to the pan. Stir everything together, ensuring the potatoes are coated with the mustard sauce.
- Add water, about 1/2 cup or as needed, to create a thick sauce consistency. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer on low heat for about 10-12 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together and the potatoes to cook through.
- Check the tenderness of the potatoes. If needed, cook for a few more minutes until they are fully cooked and soft.
- Once the potatoes are cooked and the sauce has thickened, remove from heat.
- Add sugar to balance the flavors. Adjust the seasoning if required.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves, if desired.
- Serve Shorshe Aloo hot with steamed rice or roti.
Enjoy the tangy and aromatic flavors of Shorshe Aloo, a delightful Bengali potato dish!
For best quality ingredients directly from West Bengal, please visit our site:- https://indiacuisine.net