Shorshe Begun is a classic Bengali dish made with eggplant (begun) cooked in a mustard sauce (shorshe). It is a flavorful and aromatic dish that pairs well with steamed rice or roti. Here's a recipe to make Shorshe Begun:
- 1 large eggplant (baingan/brinjal), cut into thick slices or cubes
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Water as needed
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
- Soak the mustard seeds in water for about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the water and grind the mustard seeds into a smooth paste using a blender or mortar and pestle. You can add a little water if needed.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan or kadai over medium heat.
- Add the green chilies and sauté for a minute until they release their aroma.
- Add the eggplant slices or cubes to the pan and sauté for a couple of minutes, ensuring they are well coated with the oil.
- Add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the mustard paste to the pan. Stir everything together, ensuring the eggplant is coated with the mustard sauce.
- Add water, about 1/2 cup or as needed, to create a thick sauce consistency. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer on low heat for about 10-12 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together and the eggplant to cook through.
- Check the tenderness of the eggplant. If needed, cook for a few more minutes until it reaches your desired texture.
- Once the eggplant is cooked and the sauce has thickened, remove from heat.
- Add sugar to balance the flavors and adjust the seasoning if required.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves, if desired.
- Serve Shorshe Begun hot with steamed rice or roti.
Enjoy the tangy and aromatic flavors of Shorshe Begun, a delightful Bengali eggplant dish!
For best quality ingredients directly from West Bengal, please visit our site:- https://indiacuisine.net