Shobji Diye Bhaja Muger Dal is a Bengali dish made with roasted moong dal (yellow split lentils) and a variety of vegetables. It is a nutritious and flavorful dish that can be enjoyed with rice or roti. Here's a recipe to make Shobji Diye Bhaja Muger Dal:
- 1 cup moong dal (yellow split lentils)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 dried red chilies
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Water as needed
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
- Dry roast the moong dal in a pan over medium heat until it turns golden brown and releases a nutty aroma. Stir continuously to avoid burning. Once roasted, remove from heat and let it cool. Then, rinse it thoroughly under water to remove any impurities.
- In a pressure cooker or a deep pot, add the roasted moong dal, turmeric powder, salt, and 3 cups of water. Cook the dal until it becomes soft and mushy. If using a pressure cooker, cook for about 2-3 whistles, or simmer in a pot for around 20-25 minutes until the lentils are well cooked.
- In a separate pan, heat ghee or oil over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, and dried red chilies. Let them splutter for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger paste and garlic paste. Sauté for a minute until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they turn soft and mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the diced carrots, potatoes, capsicum, green beans, and green peas to the pan. Mix everything together, ensuring the vegetables are coated with the spices.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Allow the vegetables to cook for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the cooked moong dal to the pan. Mix well.
- Add sugar to balance the flavors. Adjust the seasoning if required.
- Add water as needed to achieve the desired consistency of the dal.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer on low heat for another 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Remove from heat.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves, if desired.
- Serve Shobji Diye Bhaja Muger Dal hot with steamed rice or roti.
Enjoy the flavorful and wholesome Shobji Diye Bhaja Muger Dal, a delicious Bengali dish made with roasted moong dal and vegetables!
For best quality ingredients directly from West Bengal, please visit our site:- https://indiacuisine.net