- 1 cup all-purpose flour (maida)
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ajwain seeds (carom seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon kalonji seeds (nigella seeds)
- Water (for kneading the dough)
- Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
Step 1: Preparing the Nimki Dough
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, ghee, a pinch of salt, ajwain seeds, and kalonji seeds.
- Mix the ingredients together until they resemble coarse breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add water, a little at a time, and knead the mixture into a firm but pliable dough. It should not be too soft or too stiff.
Step 2: Shaping the Nimki
- Divide the dough into small, equal-sized portions and roll each portion into a smooth ball.
- Roll out each ball into a thin, rectangular sheet using a rolling pin. The thickness should be similar to that of a puri or papad.
- Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut the rolled-out dough into diamond-shaped pieces. You can make small diagonal cuts to create the diamond shapes.
Step 3: Deep Frying the Nimki
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat. To check if the oil is hot enough, drop a small piece of dough into the oil. If it sizzles and rises to the surface, the oil is ready for frying.
- Carefully slide a few pieces of Nimki into the hot oil, ensuring not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry the Nimki pieces until they turn golden brown and become crisp. This usually takes about 2-3 minutes per batch.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the fried Nimki from the oil and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining Nimki batches.
Step 4: Serving Nimki
- Let the Nimki cool completely before storing them in an airtight container. They will become even crispier as they cool down.
- Serve Nimki as a delightful tea-time snack or enjoy them on their own.
Enjoy your homemade Nimki, the crispy and savory diamond-shaped snack that's perfect for any occasion!
For best quality ingredients directly from West Bengal, please visit our site:- https://indiacuisine.net