For the Cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semolina (sooji)
- 1 cup nolen gur (date palm jaggery), grated
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (cashews, almonds, pistachios)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- A pinch of salt
For the Nolen Gur Syrup:
- 1/2 cup nolen gur (date palm jaggery), grated
- 1/4 cup water
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a cake pan. You can use a round 8-inch (20 cm) or square 9-inch (23 cm) pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, semolina, baking soda, baking powder, cardamom powder, and a pinch of salt. Mix them well and set aside.
3. In another bowl, cream the softened butter and grated nolen gur until it becomes light and fluffy.
4. Add yogurt and mix until it's well incorporated into the butter and sugar mixture.
5. Slowly add the dry ingredients from step 2 into the wet mixture in parts, alternating with milk. Mix until you have a smooth batter.
6. Fold in the chopped nuts and raisins into the cake batter.
7. Pour the cake batter into the greased cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
9. While the cake is baking, prepare the nolen gur syrup. In a saucepan, combine grated nolen gur and water. Heat on low, stirring continuously until the jaggery melts and forms a syrup. Remove from heat and let it cool.
10. Once the cake is done baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes in the pan.
11. While the cake is still warm, poke holes all over it using a toothpick or a fork.
12. Pour the cooled nolen gur syrup evenly over the warm cake. Allow the cake to absorb the syrup for about 30 minutes.
13. Once the cake has absorbed the syrup and cooled completely, remove it from the pan.
14. Slice and serve your delightful Nolen Gur Cake, garnishing with extra chopped nuts if desired.
This cake is a beautiful fusion of Bengal's traditional nolen gur sweetness and the comforting goodness of a moist cake. Enjoy the rich flavors of date palm jaggery and the delightful crunch of nuts in every bite.
For best quality ingredients directly from West Bengal, please visit our site:- https://indiacuisine.net