Narkel Nadu, also known as Naru or Sweet Coconut Laddoo, is a beloved Indian sweet that graces festive occasions and celebrations with its delightful presence. These luscious coconut and jaggery laddoos offer a perfect blend of sweetness and nutty flavors, making them a cherished treat during festivals like Diwali, Navratri, and more. In this recipe, we'll guide you through the preparation of Narkel Nadu, ensuring you create these delectable delights in your own kitchen.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: Approximately 15 laddoos
- 2 cups grated fresh coconut (or desiccated coconut)
- 1 cup grated jaggery (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- Chopped nuts (optional, for garnish)
Step 1: Prepare the Jaggery Syrup
1. In a heavy-bottomed pan, add the grated jaggery and water. Heat it over medium-low heat.
2. Stir the mixture continuously until the jaggery completely dissolves. Allow it to come to a gentle boil.
3. To test the syrup's consistency, drop a small amount of the jaggery syrup into a bowl of cold water. It should form a soft ball that you can shape with your fingers. This is known as the soft ball stage.
Step 2: Add Coconut and Flavors
4. Once the jaggery syrup reaches the soft ball stage, add the grated coconut to the pan.
5. Stir the coconut and jaggery mixture continuously on low heat. The goal is to cook the mixture until it thickens and leaves the sides of the pan. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
6. Add a pinch of salt and cardamom powder for flavor, and continue to stir.
Step 3: Shape the Laddoos
7. Once the mixture thickens and turns slightly sticky, remove it from the heat. Allow it to cool for a few minutes, making sure it's still warm but manageable.
8. Grease your palms with a little ghee to prevent sticking. Take small portions of the mixture and shape them into round laddoos while they are still warm.
9. If desired, garnish the laddoos with chopped nuts like almonds, cashews, or pistachios while they are still soft.
Step 4: Allow to Set
10. Let the Narkel Nadu cool completely. As they cool, they will firm up and hold their shape.
Step 5: Store and Serve
11. Once the laddoos have cooled and set, store them in an airtight container. They can be enjoyed for several days.
- Use fresh grated coconut for the best flavor, but desiccated coconut works well too.
- Adjust the amount of jaggery to your sweetness preference.
- Be cautious while cooking the jaggery syrup; do not overcook, as it can become too hard.
These Narkel Nadu laddoos are a true delight, offering the rich and nutty flavors of coconut and the natural sweetness of jaggery. They make for a perfect addition to your festive celebrations or as a sweet treat for your loved ones. Enjoy crafting and savoring these divine delights!
For best quality ingredients directly from West Bengal, please visit our site:- https://indiacuisine.net