Begun Bhaja is a popular Bengali dish made with fried eggplant slices. It is a simple yet flavorful dish that can be served as a side dish or a snack. Here's a recipe to make Begun Bhaja:
- 1 large eggplant (baingan/brinjal)
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder
- Mustard oil for frying
- Start by slicing the eggplant (brinjal) into thin round slices, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place the eggplant slices in a bowl of water with a little salt for about 10 minutes. This helps to remove any bitterness from the eggplant.
- After 10 minutes, drain the water and pat the eggplant slices dry using a kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Sprinkle some salt and turmeric powder on both sides of the eggplant slices and rub it gently. This will help in seasoning and removing excess moisture from the eggplant.
- Heat mustard oil in a frying pan or kadai over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully place the seasoned eggplant slices in the hot oil. Fry them in batches, ensuring not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry the eggplant slices until they turn golden brown and crispy on both sides. Flip them over occasionally for even frying.
- Once the eggplant slices are crispy and golden brown, remove them from the pan and place them on a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining eggplant slices.
- Serve Begun Bhaja hot as a side dish or a snack. It goes well with steamed rice and dal or as a accompaniment to any Bengali meal.
Enjoy the crispy and delicious Begun Bhaja, a classic Bengali dish made with fried eggplant slices!
For best quality ingredients directly from West Bengal, please visit our site:- https://indiacuisine.net