Bandhakopir Ghonto is a popular Bengali dish made with cabbage, potatoes, and peas, cooked together with spices to create a flavorful and hearty dish. Here's a recipe for Bandhakopir Ghonto:
- 1 small cabbage, finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 green chilies, slit
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Water as needed
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
- Heat mustard oil in a pan or kadai over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and bay leaf. Let them splutter for a few seconds.
- Add the slit green chilies and sauté for a minute.
- Add the ginger paste and sauté for another minute until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the cubed potatoes to the pan. Mix well and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chopped cabbage and green peas to the pan. Mix everything together, ensuring they are well coated with the spices.
- Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Allow the vegetables to cook for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Check the tenderness of the potatoes and cabbage. If needed, cook for a few more minutes until they are cooked through.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add garam masala powder and sugar. Adjust the seasoning according to your taste preferences.
- Simmer for a few more minutes to allow the flavors to blend together.
- Remove from heat and garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves, if desired.
- Serve Bandhakopir Ghonto hot with steamed rice or roti.
Enjoy this delicious and comforting Bengali cabbage and potato dish, Bandhakopir Ghonto!
For best quality ingredients directly from West Bengal, please visit our site:- https://indiacuisine.net